April 13, 2009

Lets try this again.

I know that it has been roughly 26 weeks since my last post but I thought that I should try this again. I have been longing for a way to share my opinions and experiences again and I remembered that all I have to do is remember to post...

I have been scrambling like a mad man trying to keep up with my students this year. Without a formal curriculum I found myself struggling to create lessons for every class. Luckily I decided to get smart and start using the resources available to me to see what other tech teachers are up to and make some adaptations. I have since been very busy trying to balance my responsibilities teaching with those handed down to me by my administrators. My wife laughed at me when I told her I was not going to take on any extra responsibilities, now I know why. I just can't help myself, I enjoy helping when I know that I can and this has led to me being asked/told to help with numerous projects that fall outside of the classroom. I can not complain though, I love feeling involved and especially enjoy that now I feel like my opinion not only matters but is making a positive impact on my school.

Going back to the curriculum business I have managed to lay out an outline of the curriculum I want to follow for next year and even managed to buy $5,000 worth of software to help me along the way. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that my principal is placing an emphasis on quality technology and software throughout the school. My next step is to finalize my curriculum and start getting the materials in order ahead of time.

I have a professional development day tomorrow to mark the end of a fast spring vacation during which I accomplished very little work...oh well the break felt great.

I apologize for my long absence, especially to those of you who sent me e-mails and comments that I did not respond to, I dropped the ball big time in trying to keep up with this blog and I will not let that happen again :-)

No comments: