August 30, 2008

The First Week...

...and I am exhausted. I will have to try harder to spare some time to post on here. It is a bit of a shock to go from sitting around all summer and now having to go to work everyday. Though it still doesn't seem like work; I can't believe that I get paid to teach Technology, my favorite subject. My classroom is finally starting to come together the way I envisioned it. I enjoyed my first week in the classroom and I have keys to lock my door now which is good seeing as I have a classroom full of computers. I never imagined myself being a "resource" teacher but I hope to redefine the term. I have always felt like there is a negative connotation towards the term "resource" that makes me feel like I am not a "real" teacher. There are differences especially in procedures compared to classroom teachers, however, I feel like I am still just as important to the success of the students at my school.

The real challenge that I will be dealing with is the wide variety in ages of my students. I have pre-K through 4th grade and despite my initial fears of working with Kindergarten I am finding them to be one of my favorite classes. They are so curious about everything in my classroom and they are all so eager to learn it's inspiring. We opened a computer to explore the inside and their eyes were huge with excitement, it was a great feeling. The trick now will be to stand and deliver with exciting and engaging lesson plans. I plan to create my own computer programs to match the objectives of my lesson but this can be a very time consuming task, especially for multiple grade levels. I need to get some major planning done this weekend; I want to get ahead of the deadlines for once instead of always rushing at the last minute to meet them. For now though I am going to settle on cleaning up my apartment after this whirlwind of a week.

No comments: